Blog 8 – Persuasive Presentations or Death by PowerPoint

I chose “How to speak so that people want to listen” by Julian Treasure because this topic is related to our purpose. This gentleman cuts right through the chase, I usually dislike long introductions to the real subject. This video is teaching us that how to catch audience’s attention.

In his presentation, he has used Dual Coding theory, multimedia principle, and Signaling principle. He used clearly signaling for each word with pictures to introduce the seven deadly sins of speaking.

•Gossip

•Judging

•Negativity

•Complaining

•Excuses

•Exaggeration

•Dogmatism

Also, when he introduced those word, he used bold text to make word to make audience impressive.

For Cognitive Load Theory, we need to use for our life. Meanwhile research suggests that practice really does make perfect in that repeated repetition changes the structure of the brain. For example, when we learn new vocabulary, we need to use it in our life. Otherwise, we will forget it. •Dual Coding theory: For this theory, the memory would help more. A scene will make people to remember. Julian used his experience to tell story that makes people to remember. From my own experience, I have learned a word “significant” with unforgettable memory. This happened when my friend were discussing how to pronounce this word with me. I always remember this word because I would think about the scene I